Welcome to Melitopol
Melitopol ( Мелітополь, Мелитополь) is a town in the Zaporizhia Oblast of southeastern Ukraine. The towns name comes from Greek Μέλι (meli) - "honey") It is only small with an estimated population around 158,700. Melitopol has few attractions or noteworthy tourist sights to draw visitors and it is manly a transit town for 'tourists' en-route to Crimea and/or the Azov Sea which is only about 55Kms away.
The current time and weather in Melitopol is
The first record of this area refers to 1524 and that time it was not inhabited. But the Tatars pastured their horse in the river Molochnaya valley.
This area was inhabited during the Russian-Turkish war of 1768-1774. In 1783, the Crimea and its northern surroundings were joined to Russia. Peasants, former soldiers from all over the Russian Empire as well as Zaporozhye Cossacks moved to the area.
The first settlers inhabited the territory in 1795-1796. Their houses were the start of the settlement Novoaleksandrovka. In 1814, the settlement had an important marker of a large settlement - Alexandrovskaya church. 2 years later the total population of the settlement was 200.
The town is famous throughout Eastern Europe for its “Sweet Cherries” , Mention Melitopol to anyone and they will all respond with “Sweet Cherries”! They do not know anything else about the place but the all know about this wonderful tasting fruit.
During the summer and 'public holidays' most of the locals flock to Gorky Park, which was constructed in 1927.
The fountains on Victory Square have just been “totaly' rebuilt and are quite impessive!
The Park of Immortal Glory , built in honor of those who did not return home from the Great Patriotic War (WW11) is for a small town, also impressive! Situated at the entrance is an old Russian tank and the 'locals' speak that this was the 'site' of the first Soviet tank to arrive and try to stop the Nazi invasion of the town
Alexander Nevsky Cathedral. The cathedral was built in 1815-1831. Since the city was then called Novoaleksandrovka, it was decided to name the church in honor of Grand Duke Alexander Nevsky. Originally, the church was built of wood. Later, it was rebuilt in stone.
St. Savva Monastery. The monastery is one of the newly formed Ukrainian monasteries. The construction of the monastery began in May 1995. In 2005, the construction was completed. Vorovsky Street, 45.
The Sea of Azov has been known for many decades. as a place of wonderful summer vacations for the whole family and it is easy get there from the town. Hotels and guest houses offer rooms in various price categories of "Economy" to "luxury. But I does not matter where you stay because the sea is is always 4-10 minutes away
See the Town on Video below