Welcome to Simferopol
Simferopol is a city and administrative centre of Autonomous Republic of Crimea situated in Southern Ukraine. Simferopol lies along the Salgir River where it emerges from the Crimean Mountains and is an important highway junction of Crimean peninsula. There is an airport in the city.
The city played an active role in the events of the Civil war in Russia. First taken by the socialists who proclaimed the Tavric republic in 1919, the city was soon overtaken by the "Whites", the supporters of capitalist imperial Russia led by Vrangel, and was one of their last strongholds until their defeat in late 1920. The city was then turned into the capital of the Crimean Autonomous Soviet Republic. During the World War II, the city was occupied for 2,5 years, more than 22 thousand people were killed.
After the liberation in 1944, Soviet government deported the Tatar population of the region (for the collaboration with the Nazis, as they claimed), and initiated the new colonization of the peninsula by Slavic population. The autonomy of the republic was abolished, Crimea became on ordinary region of the Russian Federative Republic, and later was transferred to the Ukrainian SSR in commemoration of the 300th anniversary of Russian-Ukrainian unification.
As Crimea went on with its development as a nation-wide resort, Simferopol turned to the hub of the Crimean region. The tourists from all corners of the country arrived at the railway station or airport and followed further to Southern Coast using a specially built trolleybus route.
With the dissolution of the USSR, the predominantly Russian population of the peninsula requested the return of Crimea to Russia. The potential conflict was settled by granting the degree of autonomy to Crimea, but not completely. At the same time, the return of the Crimean Tatars in 90s resulted in growing national tensions. The economic situation harshened, as the industry stopped and the number of tourists decreased. Newer developments may potentially lead to re-emergence of Simferopol as the major business centre of the peninsula. Simferopol nowadays is a large city with a busy life, but with only a small "historical city" district, mostly of XIX and beginning of XX century. Modest, but beautiful old districts are full of trees and surrounded by the park along the river Salgir. The city hosts a number of theatres, many restaurants and clubs, and is a major transit point for all tourists arriving at Crimea. The city authorities look forward to establish new museums and to present the complex history of the city to the visitor.
Virtually all the tourist 'spots' are within a few hours travel for example Alushta and Yalta (1,5-2 hours by trolleybus or minibus) , Bakhchisarai with its Khan Palace, the old resort Yevpatoria and Sevastopol , the base of Russian Black Sea Navy and the historical city.
Places of Interest
The Paleolithic Site in the Cave Chokurcha (Lugovaia Street) is the most known among all of them. This is the extant site of primitive man who lived 40-50 thousand years ago. There is also the Scythian settlement Kermen-Kyr - on the territory of the farm of Dzerzhinsky. For lovers of ancient history is of particular interest the Scythian Naples City, the capital of ancient Scythian state (on the Petrovskie Rocks). This is one of the Scythian king's fortresses, the largest in the Crimea Scythian ancient settlement (20 ha). There were the remains of the strong (8.5 meters thick) defensive wall with two towers, one of which is the mausoleum (72 burials: the king and the nobility), which is of particular interest. The richness of the burial tombs recalls the great burial mounds. Mausoleum is the only monument of such kind in the Scythian settlements. There were also excavated the remains of dwellings and public buildings, including the frescoes.
The numerous monuments of landscape architecture also remained in the city: Vorontsov Palace Complex (1827) in the park "Salghirka", estate of P.S. Palas and others. In the Children's park in Simferopol there remained the 500 years old oak “Bogatyr of Taurida” (Hero of Taurida). The circumference of the trunk is about 6 meters, diameter of the crown - 30 meters. Near there are several 300-500-year-old oak trees of smaller sizes. Two bicentennial London plane trees are in the park "Salghirka", which were planted in late XVIII century. There is also the unique chestnut with 5 trunks - planted by Doctor F.K. Mil’gauzen in 1812.
Flag of Simferopol
Emblem of Simferopol
The Weather in Simferopol